Saturday, July 23, 2005

Turning Into My Mother

Firstly, let me celebrate the first day of my three week holidays. Hoorah, Hoorah, Hoorah!

The plan is to go to the Frog Cousin wedding tonight and then drive down to Lyon tomorrow to see one of Frog's best friends. I've never been to Lyon so I'm quite excited about that prospect. Then from Lyon we'll drive down to Cavalaire and the Frog Family house for a couple of weeks slobbing in the sun.

Mum is joining us for one week followed by Frog Friends. I'm currently uploading more tunes to the iPod, I stocked up on books in London this week and have just returned from having my bits waxed. Bring it on, I say.

Our original plan had been to do nothing for three weeks in the south. Except looking around we still have a lot of work in the flat to do, boxes to unpack, lights to buy and install and furniture to shop around for. The more we've been thinking about this the more it makes sense to come back to Reims for the third week and really focus on getting these tasks done.

But there's a little voice inside my head that says "Stay in the sun. You'll be in Reims all autumn and winter and have all the weekends you need to get the domestic stuff done". Which is exactly what my mum has been doing for the past eight years since she moved into her new home. Everytime I see her she complains that there's so much work to do on the house and I point out that if she actually stayed at home one holiday and focused on the projects they might get completed a little more easily. "Yes, I know" she sighs "But I want to go and do other things with my holiday time".

Suddenly her point of view is much clearer to me.

No comments: